Tofu, I know right?! After watching Clarissa Explains it All I swore I'd never touch the stuff. Well, I consider 29 years pretty good. But I had no idea how great a substitute tofu is for eggs and other dairy items. So since my mom makes breakfast casserole every year I didn't want to be left out. The hubs and I experimented with a concoction of three recipes to get this. And, it was amazing!
Dairy-free, egg-free, sugar-free, and yeast-free breakfast casserole:
1 firm package of tofu, drained and patted dry
6 slices of Yeast-free, Gluten-free Bread
2 cups of non-dairy milk (We used soy)
1/2 c. vegan cheese (We used Follow Your Heart Cheddar Cheese)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. ground mustard
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 lb of breakfast sausage
1. Preheat oven to 375oF
2. Grease an 11 × 7-inch casserole dish
3. Cook sausage in a skillet over medium heat until thoroughly browned and crumbled. Remove from heat, drain excess fat, and set aside.
4. Cut bread into small pieces and cover the bottom of the casserole.
5. Cut the tofu into four cubes and crumble into a bowl
6. In the bowl add together the milk, salt, pepper, mustard, and nutmeg.
7. Stir in sausage and cheese
8. Pour mixture into prepared pan, patting down the top for a relatively even surface.
9. Place in oven and bake for 40 minutes